- In your mixing bowl combine your butter, caster sugar, self raising flour, eggs, grated rind of half a lemon & 2 tbsp elderflower cordial. Beat well until thoroughly combined & light.
- Spoon into a greased & lined one pound loaf tin. Bake for about one hour at 140C/325 F/Gas Mark 4.
- Test with a skewer - inserted near the centre of the cake it should come out clean with no crumbs sticking to it. The time may vary with your individual oven.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes then remove cake from the tin and peel away lining paper.
- Poke holes all over the top of the cake with the skewer and drizzle with 4- 6 tbsp elderflower cordial. The amount will depend on how gooey you like your cake.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before serving.
Why not try an Elderflower and Gin Drizzle Cake?
If you wish you can make this cake more 'adult' by mixing equal amounts of gin with your elderflower when adding to the cake mix and the drizzle topping. We recommend Salcombe Start Point Gin!