- Fry the chopped onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large, wide saucepan with the lid on over a gentle heat for 5 minutes - until the onions are softened but not brown.
- Add a clove of garlic and the butter and cook for 1 more minute.
- Then add the chopped mushrooms, turn up the heat a little and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make up your stock. Add the dried porcini mushrooms to this mixture and stir thoroughly - set aside and allow mushrooms to rehydrate and infuse the stock.
- When the mushrooms are ready, stir in the risotto rice and cook for 1 minute, before adding all of the stock, together with the dried mushrooms and some salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat right down, but leave the lid off. Cook the risotto until almost all the stock has been absorbed (roughly 20 minutes). By this time the rice should be ‘al dente’. Remember to stir the risotto from time to time whilst cooking.
- Stir in the parsley and serve sprinkled with parmesan or vegan cheese.
Perfect with a side salad and some crusty French bread!