Have ready one 350 g sterilized jam jar & get your water on the boil.
- In the top of a double boiler or ban marie beat 2 large eggs.
- Then add the caster sugar, lime zest & juice, elderflower cordial & unsalted butter.
- Place the pan over, not in, just simmering water & stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the butter melts & the whole mixture thickens. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
- When the mixture coats the back of your spoon & separates like the Red Sea when you run your finger down the back of the spoon with no seepage it is ready.
- Do not allow the mixture to boil. If it gets too hot, remove the pan from the heat & continue to stir until thick.
- Pot up in the usual way. Allow to cool, then refrigerate.
Your Elderflower & Lime Curd should keep for up to 4 weeks... if you can make it last that long!
If the worst happens & the eggs curdle, OR you wish to have supremely velvety curd you may sieve the mixture as you pot up.